This lesson is an analysis of a solo and a further exploration of the chords of the song Autumn Leaves. The material consists out of a 4 chorus improvised solo that I have transcribed.
The lesson video that analyses the solo focus on several topics listed below. I am also going over some thoughts about how to time harmonic and rhythmical devices within a solo and working on tension and release on the scale of a whole solo in terms of different types of intensity. The solo also illustrates what I do with the material from the free YouTube Lesson and uses this material in varying the rhythm and the harmony.
Contents of the solo and analysis
- When to follow the changes and when not to
- triplet phrasing and rhythms in medium swing
- Melodic minor use on a tonic minor chord
- variations on tonic minor sounds
- Double time in medium swing
- Solo Reharmonizations of minor and major cadences
- Using Blues phrases in a minor key
- Motifs and variations of motifs in solos
- Polyphonic soloing ideas
The download includes:
– Performance video with transcription
– 51 min Video Lesson with analysis
– PDF/GuitarPro Transcription of 4 choruses
– Mp3 Backing track
– Mp3 Performance track
– Performance Notes
I hope you can use the lesson as an etude and as inspiration for your own solos on Autumn Leaves. I also hope that the analysis serves as food for thought on how to both improvise and listen to jazz solos.
There are no reviews yet.