A truly fantastic part of Jazz Guitar is the Jazz Blues sound. Here Bebop and Blues meet in a great mix as you hear with people like Wes Montgomery, Barney Kessel, and Kenny Burrell.
This lesson will teach you how to play lines in this way using a 4-chorus solo on a medium Bb blues. Take your Jazz Blues solos up a level.
The solo has some great example of how you can mix the bebop and the blues language and how in many ways the two go unexpectedly well together. For example how minor pentatonic can work as a sort of “altered scale” to pull towards the IV in the progression, or how a dim chord can be used to give meaning to the blue note.
Content of the lesson
I go over the 4 chorus transcription and discuss some of the strategies and my approach to improvising over a blues use the. Some of the material that I use and discuss a lot in this lesson,
- Different types of Blues phrasing (major, minor, altered)
- Extensive use of call and response and motifs in solos.
- Good ways to mix different types of phrasing
- Integrating common blues melodies in a jazz context
- Phrasing across the barline
- Some surprising but still fairly inside scale choices on a blues
- How Blues clichés can be used to spell out certain changes
The download includes:
- 4 chorus transcription in PDF and GuitarPro
- Video performance and 26 minute lesson
- Video performance with sheet music
- mp3 of the performance.
- Mp3 backing track
- Performance notes
- I hope you can use this transcription and the video lesson as an inspiration for your own
- soloing and that it can help you develop new ideas and melodies with some of my approaches.
Boost your Jazz Blues Skills with more lessons
You can also get this lesson together with more essential lessons on F blues, Bebop phrasing in a blues context by checking out the Jazz Blues Intro Pack.
With these lessons you will get material to cover the Jazz blues in F, Bb and C. Exercises for arpeggios and phrasing plus a lot of solid solo examples to get into your ears and fingers.
The bundle is 5 lessons at a greatly reduced price: