This lesson is a transcription of an improvised 6 chorus solo that I recorded on a 12 bar F blues.
With this solo the focus is mostly on demonstrating some fairly straight-ahead devices on the Blues Form. This should make it an easy Etude but also a good amount of information on how to add variation to the blues form in terms of choice of materials and choices with technique and phrasing.
Some of the topics covered:
• Playing the Changes of the standard 12 bar F blues
• Applying Blues and pentatonic scales to the form in a jazz context
• Using jazz melodies but adding blues phrasing
• Common reharmonizations and how they are placed in a solo
• Techniques used for blues phrasing in a jazz context
• Less traditional applications of the blues scale
For the most part the playing in this solo is very much kept in a hard bop and bebop style with use of 8th notes and also embellishing the lines with trills, slurs, legato and grace notes. These embellishments are a key part of the blues phrasing vocabulary and the solo contains straight minor pentatonic blues phrases but also this type of phrasing applied to more typical bop lines.
The lesson makes use of an annotated transcription where I have taken the transcription and added comments and notes to explain what is going on. This approach is easy for you to access and you can read what I played and also what I think about it.
The transcription is available as GuitarPro files, PDF and also included in the video performance.
The lesson download contains:
- Performance video with the transcription
- An Annotated Transcription including the analysis of the 6 chorus solo
- Transcription in PDF and GuitarPro 7
- Performance mp3
- Backing track mp3
Boost your Jazz Blues Skills with more lessons
You can also get this lesson together with more essential lessons on F blues, Bebop phrasing in a blues context by checking out the Jazz Blues Intro Pack.
With these lessons you will get material to cover the Jazz blues in F, Bb and C. Exercises for arpeggios and phrasing plus a lot of solid solo examples to get into your ears and fingers.
The bundle is 5 lessons at a greatly reduced price:
There are no reviews yet.