This lesson consists of 3 choruses or comping on the chords of How High The Moon.
The recording that I used here is a transcription of a one take improvised performance. I was in the performance trying to comp as I would normally do, so that this is a true representation of how I comp and that it isn’t too full even if that means making it a little less full.
The voicings are mostly triad based and drop2 and the lesson demonstrates very well how I mix the two. I was trying to demonstrate some good melodic and rhythmical ideas that you can use in other songs as well, both approaching it with more riff like motifs and more focus on the melodic content.
You can preview the performance here:
The download contains:
- Performance video and mp3
- backing track
- GuitarPro and PDF transcription of the three choruses
- Performance notes
The material covered includes:
- Triad and Drop2 based voicings used together in a song
- Demonstrates how I interpre the chords of the song
- How I construct riffs that move through a standard progression
- Examples of comping melodies and rhythms in use over a standard
I try to make as good an etude as I can, but I am of course always curious to get feedback from whoever tries the comping lesson, so feel free to let me know via socia media or e-mail what you liked and/or disliked about the lesson!