Jazz and Bop Phrasing
In this lesson I am using some exercises and 3 choruses of blues etudes to demonstrate good ways to get your jazz phrasing better in a step wise manner. The main focus is on learning how to use accents and also how to analyze a line so that you know where you should put the accents. This is done through exercises and etudes which I demonstrate and discuss in the videos.
Even if there are no strict rules when it comes to phrasing in any genre, it is very useful to have some guidelines to work from when trying to develop your phrasing.
This lesson will probably also help you get a better understanding and ear for when something is a good jazz line or not, since some lines are easier to phrase in a jazzy way than others as you will see in the lesson.
What I cover and discuss:
- Guidelines for adding accents to jazz lines
- How to practice accents in lines
- Technical exercises and rules of phrasing
- Etudes with phrasing advice
- 3 choruses of solid jazz lines on a C blues
The Download includes:
- Performance video with transcription
- 44 min Video Lessons with analysis
- PDF/GuitarPro Transcription of 3 choruses
- Mp3 Backing track
- Mp3 Performance tracks
- Performance Notes
I hope you can use the lessons and solos as etudes and inspiration for your own phrasing. I also hope that the analysis serves as food for thought on how to develop your skills as a jazz guitarist.