Using more modern and outside sounds are a great way to have more varied solos and more options while soloing. For a lot of players it is however difficult to get them to mix with what they already know.
This lesson consists of a two chorus solo transcription on All The Things You Are. I have videos analyzing the solo and explaining the concepts used. Both are demonstrating how to use outside or reharmonized sounds. The goal is to give you some ideas on how to integrate this into your own playing and also to give you a vocabulary of options that you can apply to this and other songs.
The reharmonizations range from fairly simple tritone substitutions and parallel minor chords to other more abstract ideas like the augmented scale and lydian augmented sounds. The analysis of the solo also talks about how you position reharmonizations in the form or the chord progression to get the best effect out of it.
Some of the topics I discuss:
- How to make “outside” more melodic
- Outside options and how to play them
- What makes the solo sound stronger
- Choosing the right places in the form
- Examples of Outside or Reharmonization
- Analysis of Examples and Transcription
- 2 Chorus examples and exercises
The Download includes:
- 2 chorus Solo
- Extra licks for the outside ideas
- 2 Video lessons, Exercises and solo (57 min)
- PDF/GuitarPro Transcription
- Mp3 Backing track
- Performance Videos with transcription